|M4A4 "Fez" at the "GMC"
du Fort de Peyras, La-Seyne-sur-Mer
M4A4 "Fez" au sein de l'association "GMC" au Musée du Fort de Peyras, La-Seyne-sur-Mer
Photos taken on August 28, 2004 / Photos prises le 28 août 2004
tank, which carries its original French WW2 nickname and markings,
was built by the Chrysler Tank Arsenal in 1943 (serial number 19650).
It was “put in position of Supply
the depot 31 of the Ordnance, and then assigned to the British army
with the WD number T
Armoured div., then County of London Yeomanry). It was then
transferred to the 1st
Assault Brigade Royal Engineers, which participated to the Sicily
landing and the Italy campaign, during which a shell damaged the left
idler wheel and mudguard. Once repaired and cleared off its specific
British equipments, it was put in storage in another US depot, which
assigned it to the 5th
French Armored Division. It ended the war at Stuttgart, Germany. This
tank was repainted 3 times by the British troops and 3 times by the
French ones. [...] After the war, it was modified into an M4A4T in
1951 at the ARL of Reuil”. It was then used as a fire range
before being salvaged and restored by the Group Military
Conservation, located at La Seyne sur Mer (source : Militaria
Magazine n° 108).
Generated with Arles Image Web Page Creator