Continental R-975 C1 or R-975 C4
M4, M4A1 and M4A4T tanks, M7 Priest SPGs
Continental R-975 C1
radial engine was originally fitted on M4 and M4A1 tanks. The C4 was a
slighly different version, having cylinders with a different shape.
Later in the 50s, the French Army did rebuild a batch of M4A4s, removing the
original Chrysler Multibank engines and replacing them with Continental R-975
C1s. These tanks were named M4A4T (T stands for Transformed).
General Motors GM 6046
tanks and M10 Tank Destroyers
Ford GAA V8
The General Motors 6046
engine (2x GM 6-71 diesel engines) was originally fitted on M4A2
tanks and on M10 Tank Destroyers (photos 1 & 2 courtesy of Michel Krauss,
photos 3 & 4 courtesy of Massimo Foti).
M4A3 tanks, M10A1 and M36
Tank Destroyers, M7B1 and M7B2 Priest SPGs
The Ford GAA V8 engine
was originally installed in M4A3 tanks, M10A1 and M36 Tank Destroyers and on
M7B1 and M7B2 Priest Self-Propelled Guns (photos 1 and 2 courtesy of Michel
Krauss, photo 3 4 and 5 courtesty of Massimo Foti).
The Chrysler Multibank
engine was originally installed in M4A4 tanks (photos 1, 2 & 3 courtesy of
Massimo Foti, photos 4 & 5 courtesy of Adrian Barrell).
Wright RD-1820 (converted as the D-200 to Diesel by Caterpillar)
The Wright RD-1820 was
converted to a diesel by Caterpillar Inc. as the D-200 and produced 450 hp (340
kW) @ 2,000 rpm in the M4A6 Sherman.